I’m going to tell you the 13 tips to kill mosquitos so you don’t have to can enjoy your yard this year instead of being bitten up by hordes of mosquitos.
What you will learn
- 13 tips to get rid of mosquitos
- Get rid of mosquitoes inside outside & in your yard
- Get rid of mosquitoes inside your house
- Natural and Best methods
Lets get to it!
Rid Your Yard and Home of Mosquitoes
1. Bug zappers
Bug zappers work great for killing mosquitoes but they’re more of a secondary method. They work great for localized areas not as a broadcast method. So they’re great for killing mosquitoes around your campfire or around your deck close to your home but they won’t be able to kill all of them mosquitoes in your entire yard if you have a quarter acre.
Pros. Bug zappers seem like a cool way to stick at the mosquitoes getting our vengeance on those blood-sucking villains. However, their bug zappers are only good as a secondary method for controlling mosquitoes. They work great for localized areas but they’re not really meant for controlling a quarter acre or even a half-acre in your backyard.
Pros bug zappers kill mosquitoes without the use of chemicals they use an attractive light to track the mosquitoes and fry them with electricity. On a good night, you can kill several dozen if not hundreds of mosquitoes or if you have a really bad problem a couple thousand but there are downsides to bug zappers.
Cons. Bug zappers can be a little loud as they’re zapping the little bloodsuckers & protecting your family. The bug zappers zap the mosquitoes so they naturally are fried to the light and the light needs to be clean periodically to remove the bugs otherwise it won’t be as efficient as the layers of bugs build upon the zappers.
2. Chemicals- Use a good multipurpose insecticide like Talsart P (Pro)
Have a lot of bug problems in general? I use Talstar P Professional Insecticide as a broadcast insecticide for over 70 different pests including (ants, mosquitoes, bees, spiders, etc). Once it is dry it is safe around pets and kids. This means that it is a liquid chemical that you add to a 2-gallon sprayer with water. You can also get dry versions of Talstar P in pellet form.
Hands down, Talstar P is the best liquid broadcast insecticide I have ever used. This is what many experts use on their lawns.
Recommended Broadcast Insecticide: Talstar P Where to Buy: doyourown.com or online How to Apply: 1. Follow the directions (1oz per gallon of water), 2. Wear PPE when you spray it.
Foggers are another example or method that you can use that is pretty awesome. Foggers are another method that you can use to rid your yard of mosquitoes foggers work by using a fogging machine to release chemicals into the air which settle on trees plants grass and areas where mosquitoes live to kill them foggers are effective for a shorter duration of time than other methods such as simply spraying talstar P.
Foggers cons. Even though foggers are effective as far as dispersing chemicals into your yard to get to the mosquitoes they do have several downsides.
- they’re messier than other methods. By fogging into the air you have a higher chance of getting the chemical on your clothes and on your skin and by default bringing it inside your house to your family
- No one wants to bring in any chemicals any more than they have to and foggers increase the likelihood.
- Fogger equipment is expensive or at least more expensive than a spray bottle. Foggers can set you back anywhere from 50 to a couple of hundred dollars and in addition to the chemicals, you have to buy to disperse the insecticide three long-term effectiveness foggers generally use less effective chemicals than talstar or other professional insecticides.
4. Other lawn sprays like Cutter’s backyard sprayer
Other lawn sprays like Off! Bug Control or Cutter backyard bug control are a good alternative to tall star P if it is not available cutters backyard bug control comes in a spray concentrate bottle that’s 32 oz
Hook it up to your garden hose.
Steps to use a hose sprayer.
- Number one shake the bottle
- number two make sure it is off
- number three hook it up to your garden hose
- number four turn on your garden hose
- number five go to the very end of the yard that you will treat. Remove the safety tab from the sprayers right side by pulling it straight out discard or keep the safety tap for future reuse.
- Spray the lawn making sure it’s wet walk backwards and spray side to side so you get all of the areas on the grass.
- Seven make sure you don’t get any of the chemicals on your clothes or your shoes is very important cuz you don’t want to track it in your house.
Get rid of mosquitoes inside your house
5. Keep them out in the 1st place
Close doors, windows
Get rid of mosquitoes and other bugs inside your house by keeping them out in the first place. Make sure to close all of your doors and windows especially when you’re having a barbecue or parties or neighbors over for a bonfire or just for chit chat and a drink.
6. Don’t let them breed in your house, under your deck or in your garage and basement.
- Remove stagnant water inside your house. Don’t let the breed inside your house under your deck in your garage or your basement my eliminating stagnant water you’re eliminating the areas where they breed and reduce the likelihood of them breeding inside of your house if this is a problem for you.
7. Remove stagnant water -outside as well
If you remove stagnant water from your yard, deck and around your house & deck you will eliminate the vast majority of mosquitoes. This is huge! And is the easiest way to quickly reduce – but not eliminate mosquitoes…because they will likely come from your neighbors’ house.
Natural & Home Remedies for Mosquitoes
8. Use mosquito repellent plants (Flowers like marigolds and calendula, along with herbs like rosemary, mint, and lemongrass, can also keep biting insects away from the yard. Plant them near your patio or deck for the best benefit. Sliced lemon and cloves
9. Dish of soapy water
Number nine use a dish of soapy water while you’re having a party or people are coming in and outside of the house a lot. If you use the soap dish of soapy water in a bathroom near your sliding glass door or where people are coming in and out it increases the likelihood that they’ll use that to lay their larvae which will kill them because of the soapy water.
Citronella candles can be used inside the house just as they can be outside just be aware that they will release some smoke which may irritate people inside the house.
Smoke is a great way for getting rid of mosquitoes as well now the smoker talking about is generally smoke from a campfire or smoke from some type of fire outside of the house never use smoke inside the house to repel mosquitoes as it has a greater chance of hurting you killing you or someone in your family and just generally a bad idea inside the house but people have been using it for millennia outside the house to get rid of the rascals blood-sucking rascals they are.
12. Fun Fact:Walt Disney used liquid garlic to repel Mosquitoes.
- They can’t stand the smell of garlic, so it made perfect sense to use garlic extract in the form of a spray to deter mosquitos from coming into areas of the parks. To this day, garlic extract is sprayed all around the parks in such small amounts that humans can’t detect it, but mosquitos stay far away from it.
13. Your last method is a Bat House for Bats
Essential Tools & Equipment Needed for Killing Grubs & Keeping them away
What you are going to need to make the most amazing brisket.
Contains affiliate links where I will receive a commission if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you.
- Spreader. You need this to apply the Merit or whatever grub killer you buy. If you go the cheap route (as I have in the past with something from Home Depot then you will be buying more grub killer in the next few months). Get the Merit and do it right the first time.
- Safety gear. You don’t want to be walking around in your shoes when you are spraying or applying granular pesticide (insecticide). I recommend you use gloves, wear a dust mask, eye protection and foot protection or boot.
Top Yard Tools I Use:
|Kill Lawn Grubs Now! – This is what the professionals use when you need to get your lawn back….You can apply merit yourself and save 400%. You can check it out on Amazon here. Merit works 10x better than GrubEx or cheap Big Box brands. |
|Kill Grubs naturally – This is a great organic grub treatment that kills grubs naturally. It is very effective and will not kill your earthworms. I have had much better results with milky spore than with chemicals. You can get it here on Amazon.|
|Grass seed that grows! Kentucky Bluegrass seed mix designed for full sun and light shade, with a fine-bladed texture and medium drought resistance here on Amazon.|
|Kill crabgrass now! Yard Mastery Granular Pre Emergent Herbicide 0-0-7 .38% Prodiamine. This is the professional-grade crabgrass control from the Lawn Care Nut (his other company is called Yard Mastery). Available here on Amazon.|
|Fertilizer & soil improver. This really works. Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun & Shade – |
-3 in 1 Lawn Fertilizer, Seed, & Soil Improver
-Thicker, Greener Lawn,
-up to 4,000 Sq Ft
Available here on Amazon.
|Change your own oil and save $80 – Clean – does not spill|
– Easy to dispose of oil
– Well made
– Pays for itself on 1st oil change!
Check Price on Amazon here
Made in USA (Rockford, IL)
Check Price on Amazon here
|If you are looking for the best American-built hand tools it makes sense to check out this Round Point Shovel. It is made by Bully Tools, one of the best hand & garden tool manufacturer in the Steubenville, Ohio.|
|Illinois Glove Company 21 Buffalo Grain Gloves|
Soft, comfortable and flexible
Easy to hold shovels, pickaxes or rakes.
Breathable lining and leather
Made in Illinois
|Everyone knows Channellock Pliers are the best pliers you can get. They are rugged and durable and can be passed down to your children once they are old enough for tools. I still have a pair from my dad that is over 40 years old and still works great to this day. They have been in business for over 100 years.|