Kitchens will always be a favorite part of our houses for those of us who love cooking. And that means we are always on the lookout for the latest kitchen ideas.
It could be a unique set of kitchenware or a new custom-made cabinet. No matter what it is, it’s something that gets us excited. But the most important is to achieve your dream kitchen.
You might have an idea of what our dream kitchen would look like. From the design of minor details to the overall look of our kitchen, we all have something that we want.
And most often, when we already have the means and money to change what is already existing, we no longer hold back.
But, what if we want to change something major in our kitchen? How are we going to get through it?
The first thing that we need to know is the duration of the remodeling period. The amount of time varies depending on a number of factors.
In this article, we will present these factors to you. We will also discuss with you how each of these factors can affect the duration of the remodeling.
- HOW LONG DOES KITCHEN REMODELING LAST?
- 5 FACTORS THAT CAN AFFECT THE DURATION OF YOUR KITCHEN REMODELING PROJECT
HOW LONG DOES KITCHEN REMODELING LAST?
- The average time for kitchen remodeling is 3 to 6 months.
This may seem quite a long time, but keep in mind that this time frame includes the design phase.
- For a small kitchen, excluding the planning stage, you can expect the duration of the remodeling to last about a month and a half to two (6 – 8 weeks).
- If you have a large kitchen you may need to prepare or wait for a longer period of time. The kitchen renovation project may last about two and a half months to three.
5 FACTORS THAT CAN AFFECT THE DURATION OF YOUR KITCHEN REMODELING PROJECT
A. THE SCOPE OF THE PROJECT.
Are you just adding new appliances with a few adjustments to the existing kitchen design? Or are you planning a full renovation?
- If it is the first one, then, it will just be for a couple of hours. That is if you will only be relocating the old one and will not need any additional electrical outlets.
- If it is a full kitchen remodel project, then you will definitely need more lead time. The design of the new kitchen layout will have to be carefully planned.
- You will also have to devote enough time to the construction of the structural changes.
- The electrical work, especially if there are major changes, may also take a couple of days.
- The installation of the new flooring and the new kitchen cabinets will also take time.
You will have to consider all of these when you and your kitchen designer develop the construction schedule for the project.
Lead time for the construction of some kitchen elements that you should know:
- The demolition and removal of the old kitchen will last for a couple of days. It would rarely exceed one week, even if you have a large kitchen.
- The construction of the structural elements will last for at least three days.
- The installation of utilities like electrical outlets varies from a couple of days to a week. If you managed to hire the right contractor, then it should not take too much time.
- Painting work will require at least two days. One for the application and another for the drying period.
- The duration of the installation of the new flooring also varies. Installation of laminated flooring will require less time compared to hardwood.
Hardwood floors are among the finishes that take a long time to install.
- The time necessary for the construction of countertops will vary depending on their design and finishes.
Marble and granite countertops are among my favorite options. Building them may take ten days.
Countertops with simple designs and materials can be built in less than a week.
- The duration of cabinet installation will also vary. Semi-custom cabinets will take longer to build than base cabinets with simple designs.
The former may take up to two weeks to build, while the latter can be finished within two days.
- Installation of light fixtures will last about a day or two.
With so many items to consider, the best way to do this is to hire a professional.
A good general contractor will be able to guide you properly. They will be able to answer at least the common questions that you have for the project.
They will also be able to finish the project in a short period of time.
We also recommend that you still hire a kitchen designer. This is even if you already have a good general contractor.
The kitchen designer will be able to help you throughout the entire design process. They can advise you on what your first step should be with this project.
Keep in mind that the planning phase is a very important stage.
It is the best time to discuss your preferences. It is also the best time to identify the new elements that you would like to add or retain in your new kitchen.
A good kitchen designer can definitely help you at this stage. They would be able to develop a beautiful design based on your preferences and style.
They can also guide you with the next step that you should take after the design process.
B. THE SIZE OF YOUR KITCHEN.
The size of your kitchen can also affect the length of time that your kitchen remodels takes. A small kitchen will have fewer design elements.
In general, the scope of work for a small kitchen will be smaller and fewer compared to those that are twice its size.
For example, the new cabinets and kitchen sink will be smaller compared to a large kitchen.
C. THE DESIGN OF THE NEW KITCHEN.
The design of the new kitchen can also affect the duration of the remodeling. Simple designs can be built easily compared with those with intricate patterns.
The materials that you want to use for the renovation can also affect the duration. Commonly used materials are often easier to find.
Also, since they are common, many general contractors already have a template on how to use them.
On the other hand, unique materials can be difficult to get. Some of them are also quite expensive.
Since they are rarely used, only a handful of contractors may be familiar with them.
Thus, creating something from them may take a longer time than the commonly used ones.
D. THE CONTRACTOR WHO WILL BUILD THE NEW KITCHEN.
An experienced contractor often works more systematically and faster than newer ones.
Since they have enough experience, many of them already have strategies that can help them speed up the remodeling.
Just do your research well and make sure to get the one with a good track record.
Having a sufficiently prepared budget can ensure that the construction period is continuous.
Also, having a good budget can allow you to choose a better and higher-quality contractor.
Is it hard to remodel a kitchen?
Yes, but it is possible to do it yourself. This will depend on the scope of work that needs to be done. Also, if you have the skills to do it.
How long does it take to replace kitchen cabinets and countertops?
This will depend on the design and materials to be used. Granite countertops, for example, might take up to ten days to be finished.
Custom-made cabinets may take up to two weeks to be finished and installed.
A kitchen remodeling may last for about 3 to 6 months, including the planning stage. Excluding the design stage, the construction period may last for about six to eight weeks.
This duration, however, will vary depending on a number of factors. These factors include the scope of the project and the size of the kitchen.
The design of the new kitchen, the quality of the contractor, and the budget are also included in the list.