Are you one of those car enthusiasts who loves adding accessories to their vehicles?
Or, are you just on the lookout for the next best accessory to add to your truck?
If your answer to either of these questions is yes, then allow us to introduce you to camper shells.
Camper shells are one of those accessories that truck owners love to add to their pick-up trucks. Some add camper shells to keep the items in their truck bed safe.
Bed caps can help you convert your truck bed into a safe and well-protected storage space.
But that is not the only reason why many love this famous accessory. Some people buy truck bed toppers so that they can use their vehicles as living spaces during long trips.
After all, if you have a camper shell, you will automatically have a safe sleeping area during camping.
You will just need to put your sleeping bag on the bed of your truck. Then, you can now rest without worry.
It is, therefore, undeniable that adding camper shells to your trucks is definitely going to be very beneficial to you.
- So now the question is, how do you choose the best camper shell for your truck?
- THE 4 BEST CAMPER SHELLS FOR YOUR TACOMA TRUCKS
So now the question is, how do you choose the best camper shell for your truck?
The two main considerations would be the purpose of the camper shell and the design of your truck.
Do you only need one so that you can have a secure storage area? Or do you want one so that you can have a comfortable living space during camping.
In this article, however, we will only provide Toyota Tacoma-specific solutions.
THE 4 BEST CAMPER SHELLS FOR YOUR TACOMA TRUCKS
Since there are many good ones on the market, we think that it is a good idea to present only the four best models.
1. LEER TRUCK CAP.
Secure storage areas and safe living spaces are the main reasons why many Tacoma owners are interested in truck bed toppers.
For Tacoma owners who would like to have fiberglass toppers, you should check out Leer’s Models. Leer is one of the most notable manufacturers of truck toppers.
Apart from fiberglass truck caps, Leer also produces aluminum toppers. In fact, they offer many different models for a wide range of trucks.
MAIN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER LEER TRUCK CAP:
a) They offer many different models of truck toppers that are suitable for Tacoma trucks. These models can be classified into three main groups:
- Cab-high toppers. These are bed caps that will not exceed the total height of your Tacoma trucks.
If you are looking for a traditional truck topper, then this would be a good choice for you.
- Mid/high rise caps. These can give you up to 15% additional storage space. This is especially true since these models are designed to be higher than your vehicle.
- Commercial Toppers. These are truck toppers that are made from lightweight aluminum material.
If you and your family love carrying recreational gear like mountain bikes, these are for you.
If you choose this bed cap, then you will not need to worry about adding too much weight to your vehicle. It is light and will not greatly affect the load that your vehicle will be carrying.
b) You might love their standard features:
1. Insulated roof.
2. J-clamp installation.
3. Integrated Fiberglass Mounting Rails.
4. Tempered Automotive Safety Glass
5. Limited Lifetime warranty.
c) Their model-specific features could suit your needs
- Models like the Leer 122 have:
1. Front windows
2. 50/50 Tinted slider windows
3. Recessed LED Third Brake Light.
4. Double lock, full height framed rear door
- Models like the Leer 100 XQ have:
1. Side windows with vents and screens
2. Interior headliner
3. Hidden hinged glass rear door.
For more info: https://www.leer.com/truck-caps?cclcl=en_US
2. GO FAST CAMPERS V2 PLATFORM
If you like adventure and camping, then this would be an excellent choice for you.
Go Fast Campers V2 Platform is also known as the “Cabana-style camper shell.”
MAIN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER GO FAST CAMPERS V2 PLATFORM
a) It has a unique roof design.
- The roof of this truck topper, when opened, transforms into a tent that can sleep at least two people.
The standard size is 90” x 50” but you have an option of ordering a larger rooftop tent. The larger size is about 92” x 56”.
- You can attach a roof rack on top of it. This is incredibly useful for carrying recreational gear like mountain bikes.
Just make sure that you are not carrying anything that exceeds 500 pounds. That is the maximum weight this truck topper can carry when closed.
Also, unload it first before opening it. This is because the maximum load that the rooftop tent can carry when it is open is only about 75 pounds.
- It has provisions and can support solar panels.
b) The entire design of the GFC platform camper allows easy access to your stuff from both the sides and the rear end of your Tacoma truck.
- Its side panels can be flipped up and removed.
- You can access the rooftop tent directly from your truck bed. You do not need to get out of the vehicle to access it.
c) Even the base models are already impressive.
- It comes with a sleeping mattress.
- Made from a lightweight anodized aluminum frame.
d) You can customize and upgrade your model.
- You can add tent-side doors.
- You also have the option of adding a front window.
If you prefer a rear window, it is also possible to add one even if you already have the front one.
If you want to have one of the best truck campers in the future, you can start by owning this truck topper.
- This truck topper can provide you with enough room for all the customized features that you may want to add.
For example, instead of adding a customized sleeping platform, use the bed of your truck for another purpose.
- Use it as a storage space for your portable cooking devices and porta-potties. After all, you can always sleep on the rooftop tent.
- With the right customized features and the best portable devices, it will be perfect. There is no doubt that you will enjoy camping with this minimalist truck camper.
For more info: (https://gofastcampers.com/products/v2-platform-camper-1)
3. SNUGTOP CAMPER SHELLS
Another good manufacturer of camper shells is SnugTop. This brand offers some of the best truck caps and tonneau covers on the market.
They have been in the business for about 60 years. This makes them one of the most trustworthy brands in the market.
MAIN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER SNUGTOP CAMPER SHELLS:
a) Their brand offers many different models for your Tacoma trucks.
- GB Sport
- Xtra Vision
- Sport Hi-Liner
Each of these models has different features.
However, if you ask us which we think is the best among them, we choose the Cab-Hi.
Not only does it have many standard features, but it can also be used for any Tacoma truck regardless of its model or the year that it was produced.
b) SnugTop Caps look classy despite having a traditional form.
c) You can customize the roof of your SnugTop Caps.
In fact, the manufacturers can present you with many different features that you can add to it.
For example, you can choose to add roof racks or provisions that will be useful in securing a rooftop tent.
d) Snug Top Caps has many standard features which include:
- Multiple roof rack options
- Fuel Saving Aerodynamic Styling
- Built-in LED Brake Light
- Fixed Front Window
- SNUGRUG Interior Shell Headliner
For more info: (https://www.snugtop.com/products.aspx)
4. BESTOP SUPER TOP SOFT BED TOPPER
If you prefer something that you can put on and remove easily, then you can choose to just buy a soft topper.
Soft caps are temporary truck bed toppers that you can just remove whenever you want.
Also, if an aluminum or fiberglass bed cap is too expensive for you, this could be a good choice for you.
The good news is that there are good quality brands like Bestop.
MAIN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER BESTOP SUPER TOP SOFT BED TOPPER
a) The Bestop SuperTop Soft bed topper offers protection for your cargo from the weather.
- It is made from waterproof material. When installed properly, it can prevent rain from wetting your cargo.
- It can offer a certain degree of protection from the heat of the sun.
b) It is made from high-quality materials.
- It is made from Black Diamond Fabric.
This material is known to be tough and durable. It will definitely last a long time despite constant use.
c) You can install and remove it easily.
- If you choose this soft cap, you will not need to use a drill just to attach it to your vehicle.
- You can attach it using an easily-attached bed rail clamping system.
d) You can use it regardless of your Toyota Tacoma model.
For more information : (https://www.extremeterrain.com/bestop-supertop-soft-bed-topper-0519-tacoma.html)
Are Camper Shells good?
Yes, it is good to have them. They can protect your stuff from the weather. In addition to that, they can be very useful during camping and adventure trips.
Are truck toppers easy to remove?
They are not that difficult to remove in the sense that you don’t need to constantly go to a service center just to get them off.
But, you also can’t get rid of them all by yourself.
It is moderately easy to remove them if you have someone who can help you with the task.
What are the other terms for Camper Shell?
A Camper shell is sometimes called a canopy, a truck topper, a truck bed topper, or a truck cap. Some people use the terms bed cap or box cap.
Depending on who you are talking to, these terms are often used interchangeably.
The best camper shell for your Tacoma truck is the one that is suitable for your needs.
Each of us has our own budgets and preferences. The key is choosing the one that fits them.
If you are planning to purchase one, make sure that it will work with your Toyota Tacoma.