Self-propelled lawn mowers are an excellent choice for people who want to save time on a tedious task. Knowing that your lawn is being mowed without putting in any effort is something that only these types of mowers can provide. There are hundreds of models to choose from, but you’re in the right place to find the top-tier options.
The best self-propelled lawn mower should have a long-lasting battery with a high-quality fuel-efficiency. It should also have an adjustable height, durable internal components, and quick charging capabilities. Most importantly, you need to be able to operate the mower with minimal effort.
Throughout this article, you’ll learn the following information about self-propelled lawn mowers:
- Details about the ten best self-propelled lawn mowers on the market
- Information to help you choose the right one for you
- The top brands to choose from
Greenworks G-MAX 40V 16” Cordless Lawn Mower
The Greenworks G-MAX Cordless Lawn Mower comes in two sizes: One with a 16-inch blade and another with a 17-inch blade. It comes with 7-inch wheels to elevate it off of the ground for a smooth ride over a variety of terrain. It’s made out of heavy-duty plastic to cut down on the overall weight without sacrificing too much durability.
This mower also comes with five adjustable height settings, allowing you to cut your grass between 1 ¼ inch to 3 ⅜ inches. You can choose to use it for mowing, mulching, or both. Perhaps one of the best features of this mower is the fact that it’s incredibly silent. Thanks to the 4AH battery, it cuts back on noise without reducing the overall output.
- Includes a large 16-inch or 17-inch blade to smooth cuts
- Heavy-duty plastic reduces weight and adds durability
- Ideal choice for mulching or mowing with a detachable bag
- Quiet operation throughout the duration of the full battery life
RELATED: 15 Ridiculously Simple Grub Treatments – Kill Moles & Grubs NOW!
Honda HRN216VKA Self-Propelled Mower
Next up on the list is the powerful Honda Self-Propelled Mower (HRN216VKA Model). It’s designed to be 10% stronger than the previous year’s model, making it a no-brainer for those who are familiar with the lawn care industry. Despite the high-end power, it sits in the same price range as the rest of the bunch.
Another reason that so many customers enjoy this product is that it comes with an extra-large bag. You’ll be able to mow massive lawns without stopping every three minutes to empty it into a garbage can. Much like the previous mower, this one can be used to mow or mulch the grass. You’ll also enjoy the textured wheels that grab hold of dense grass without slipping around.
- Make by a well-trusted company with excellent customer service
- Includes an extra-large mowing bag to reduce the frequency of emptying
- Produces more power than the vast majority of competing mowers
- Includes textured wheels to go uphill and downhill without a problem
Snapper XD 82V MAX Cordless Electric 21″ Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
The Snapper XD Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be purchased with or without the battery and charger. If you have a compatible set already, you’ll be able to save a good amount of money right away. Speaking of which, this electric mower is very energy-efficient for those who want to save on their power bill.
With seven adjustable positions, 10-inch textured wheels, and a 3-in-1 design, it’s easy to see why so many customers choose this mower over any other. Note: You can choose to buy the 21-inch blade model or the 19-inch blade model. Regardless, each battery lasts for up to 45 minutes of running time.
- Comes with three total functions to get the most out of one tool
- Massive wheels to climb over rocks, debris, and inclines
- Two model sizes to choose from; 21-inch and 19-inch blades
- 45-minute operating time per charge
Honda Versamow System Lawn Mower
Just like the previous Honda mower on the list, the Honda Versamow System Lawn Mower is considered to be top of the line. The precise blades on this mower offer an accurate cut, unlike any other choice that you’ll come across. It uses sharp angles to glide right over your lawn with minimal resistance.
The handle on this mower is gripped with rubber and foam to provide a solid foundation for your hands. This ergonomic texture is both comfortable and convenient. Although it’s not an automatic robot mower, you’ll be able to get the job done in a matter of minutes without manually pushing it around.
- Very precise cut from the sharpened blade, ensuring a uniform appearance
- Easy operation makes it ideal for people of all ages
- The ergonomic handle allows you to control the mower
- Fast movement thanks to the powerful motor
Greenworks MO80L410 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Greenworks offers a wide variety of budget-friendly lawn care equipment. The Greenworks MO80L410 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is a low-cost, high-quality mower that can last up to 45 minutes per charge. You can purchase additional batteries to keep it going as long as you’d like. Since each battery only takes a short time to charge, you’ll always have a functioning mower.
This self-propelled mower has a unique vertical positioning that allows you to store it in your shed or garage without taking up too much space. When you’re using it, you can choose to make mulch, mow the lawn, or discharge it out of the side. Simply remove or replace the bag to change the mode of operation.
- Compatible with additional batteries to continue mowing
- Quick-charging batteries reduce the time between uses
- Convertible to a vertical position for easy, convenient storage
- Unique 3-in-1 design to mulch, mow, or discharge the grass out of the side
Earthwise Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
The Earthwise Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower offers a wide range of cutting lengths. You can set it as low as 1.5 inches or as high as 4 inches. It also has a built-in battery monitor, which allows you to see how much time you have left until it’s time to charge it up or replace the battery. Once it blinks, indicating a low charge, you can pop the battery out instantly.
The hardened steel deck is as good as it gets. Providing top-notch protection for the blades and mechanical parts inside, this deck won’t rust or break any time soon. It sits lower than the mid-level of wheels, unlike most other mowers, preventing grass clippings from littering your lawn while you mow.
- Multiple adjustable height settings for the perfect lawn level
- Includes a built-in battery monitor to notify you when it’s time to recharge
- Uses a highly-durable deck to protect your mower’s interior components
- Comes in an 18-inch and a 20-inch blade variant
Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO Lawn Mower
The simple design of the Sun Joe MJ401E-Pro Lawn Mower is the main feature that attracts numerous customers to this high-tech model. The bag on the back of this unit is more of a box, providing protection to prevent it from tearing open. If you deal with a lock of twigs and rocks around your lawn, then this is the mower for you.
Furthermore, this mower has 14-inch steel blades and three height settings that give you complete control over your grass. Each of the three height positions ensures a smooth, beautiful cut for your lawn. If you’re searching for the classic lawn stripes without paying extra money, then this mower is worth a second look.
- Compact, simplistic design without too many bells and whistles
- Beautiful cutting pattern that keeps your lawn looking excellent
- Includes a massive debris collecting box on the back for sticks, rocks, grass, and leaves
- Ultra-lightweight 30-pound lawn mower design
Worx WR140 Landroid Robotic Lawn Mower
Robotic lawn mowers are the way of the future. The WORX WR140 Landroid Robotic Lawn Mower is an excellent example of what technological advancements mean to the lawn care industry. It follows corners and maintains an even level better than any manual mower could ever do. No more struggling to lift and push the mower manually!
There are multiple models to choose from if you’re interested in this robotic self-propelled lawn mower. Some of them come with GPS tracking devices, whereas others cover up to ¼ of an acre per charge. Rather than cutting the lawn every weekend, you can keep this robot running all the time for a consistently appealing yard.
- Robotic design takes all of the weight off of your shoulders
- Run it around the clock or several days per week to keep your lawn looking nice
- Multiple high-tech models to choose from
- Precise cuts ensure that your lawn’s corners are always trimmed
Husqvarna 315X Robotic Lawn Mower
The Husqvarna 315X Robotic Lawn Mower takes the previous mower to the next level. If you loved all of the next-level tech advancements, then you’ll love the smart system even more. It’s compatible with most in-home smart systems. You can set it up to work whenever you tell it to with vocal commands. Quick pairing sets your mower up in a matter of seconds.
This mower is capable of chopping down grass up to 2.4 inches tall at a 22-degree angle. It can cover just under ½ of an acre, making it more than suitable for most neighborhood lawns. When it’s time to recharge, this smart mower goes right to its charging dock by itself. The quiet mowing noise is a fraction of traditional manual lawn mowers.
- Smart system capability allows for various voice commands
- Multiple height settings with a 22-degree incline mowing ability
- Returns to the docking bay by itself when it’s low on battery life
- Incredibly quiet operation to cut down on the noise
John Deere X320 Lawn Mower
The John Deere X320 Lawn Mower is a true to life mower toy. It’s not functional as an actual mower, but it provides a nice tabletop design for those who are interested in the industry. As one of the leading companies in the world, John Deere has hundreds of mowers, tractors, and other outdoor equipment.
Note: This isn’t a self-propelled mower, but it’s a fun gag gift for friends, family members, and coworkers. If you’re looking for a similar self-propelled mower that you can use in your yard, try the John Deere 190cc Self-Propelled Mower. It’s a top-notch choice with nine height adjustment levels and mulching or mowing options.
- Fun gift for people of all ages who enjoy farming or yard work
- Made from one of the most popular companies in the industry
- Replicated after some of the best self-propelled mowers around
- Budget-friendly price for birthdays, holidays, and more
What to Look For
When you’re buying a new self-propelled mower, it’s important that you learn all of the details. These mowers can be low-cost, but many of them are quite expensive since you’re paying for the convenience features. On top of that, getting the best of something never implies that it’s cheap!
However, you can save money by choosing the right one for your lawn. There are tons of different options on the list, so let’s do what we can to hook you up with a mower that’ll last for many years to come.
Here’s what you should look for when you’re buying a self-propelled lawn mower:
- Do you prefer a robotic or traditional mower? Robotic mowers are very convenient because they take all of the responsibility. If you want to go a step further, you can purchase a model that comes with GPS tracking devices and a smart charging system that automatically returns the mower to the charging dock when it’s time.
- Is there a budget that you’re sticking to? Some of the high-end mowers on the list can cost well over $700, while others can be found for under $200. Setting a budget will give you a realistic expectation of what kind of mower is the best for your lawn. It’ll also cut the list in half, in most cases.
- What size mower blade do you need? There’s a wide range of mower sizes of the list, ranging from 14 inches to 21 inches or higher. Contrary to popular belief, bigger blades aren’t always better. While they undeniably cut more grass, they tend to be a bit more challenging to use when you’re turning sharp corners.
- Does the deck matter to you? There are two different types of mower decks; hardened plastic and metal. Plastic is much cheaper and it weighs less, but a metal deck usually lasts longer and it protects the internal components much better. After weighing the pros and cons, you’ll be more equipped to make the decision.
- What functions do you need from the self-propelled lawn mower? There are some mowers that simply cut the grass and toss it in the rear bag, while others can mulch or even discharge grass clippings out of the side of the deck. Before buying any of the mowers on this list, make sure you know what you want to get out of it.
As you can see, there are plenty of questions to ask yourself when you’re getting a new mower. All of the choices on the list are considered to be the best, but why not find the perfect one for you? By using these simple questions, you can guide yourself to one or two that you can choose from.
How to Maintain a Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Once you’ve received your mower, it’s important to stay on top of a routine maintenance schedule. Follow these tips to add several years to the lifespan of your new lawn mower:
- Clean it regularly, ensuring to remove all grass from under the deck.
- Use an anti-rust spray to prevent rust and corrosion from ruining the metal parts.
- Always empty the bag after each use.
- Inspect and wipe down the wheels every month (or as needed).
- Change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer to prevent overheating.
Now that you’ve seen the best self-propelled lawn mowers of the year, you’ll be able to figure out which one is best for you. Some people might prefer the peace of mind given by the Husqvarna 315X Mower that goes to its own charging port, whereas other people might want to be more hands-on with the Snapper XD MAX Mower.
Whichever one you choose, remember to maintain and clean your mower regularly. Typically speaking, more parts means more problems. As long as you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines, you won’t have to worry about buying a new self-propelled mower any time soon. Wheels, decks, and batteries should all be on your monthly maintenance schedule.
Here’s a quick recap of the post:
- Always know what size blade and bag you want before looking at mowers
- Robotic lawn mowers are usually more expensive, but they have loads of convenient features
- Mowers have the ability to mulch, discharge, or dispose of grass clippings and other lawn debris
- Consider the various differences between gas-powered and electric lawn mowers
- Overall, self-propelled lawn mowers are easier to use because they glide over the grass without much manual force